For the past several days I’ve been craving something sweet. Specifically something involving a key ingredient to a happy life, chocolate. While sometimes, a bowl of fresh strawberries will somewhat subdue the craving, there are other times where something else is warranted. So I bought a bundle of bananas last week and have been patiently awaiting them to reach peak ripeness so I could make this recipe.
Healthy and Wholesome Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or other flour of choice i.e. oat, rice etc)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 cup mashed banana (I used 3 large ripe, speckled bananas)
- 1/2-3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- other add-ins as desired, chopped pecans or walnuts, cranberries, raisins
- Grease one large bread pan or 2 small ones. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together in a large bowl eggs, honey, applesauce and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until blended then add mashed bananas to mixture. Add chocolate chips and any other desired mix-ins.
- Pour mixture into bread pan(s) and bake for 45-55 minutes until when a toothpick is inserted, it comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, cut into slices and enjoy!
12 servings per recipe.
Nutrition info per serving: 217 calories, 42g carbs, 25g sugar, 5g fat, 5g protein.
Recipe adapted from Yammie’s Gluten Freedom.
More cake like than bread-like this recipe is a perfect, healthy go-to to satisfy those chocolate, sweet cravings. And you don’t have to feel guilty about having a slice because with whole food ingredients like banana, applesauce, honey and eggs and whole wheat flour as the base, this is actually quite the healthy sweet treat. I ended my day today with a steaming slice of this delicious treat and a cold glass of milk. Tomorrow morning I’ll probably treat myself again to a toasted slice as a post-workout treat with a hot cup of coffee. An active body loves nothing more than whole grains and whole foods!