Eggs are a fantastic breakfast choice to start off your day, especially for anyone who participates in regular physical activity. Not only are they typically quick and easy to prepare, they also happen to be a complete source of protein and help to keep you satisfied until the next meal. The addition of salsa and onions in this recipe adds a little fiber and heart healthy antioxidants making this a great quick breakfast or snack when you’re short on time.
Quick and Easy Egg Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 chopped green onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins well.
2. Whisk eggs in bowl. Add other ingredients and stir until blended.
3. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup as a scoop, scoop egg mixture into muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes until eggs are mostly firm in the center.
3 servings (~2 muffins/serving)
Nutrition Info per serving: 186 calories, 3g Carbohydrates, 12g fat, 14g protein, 4g sugar
This is an easy recipe to make your own. Just like an omelet, you can change up the mix-ins and seasonings to appeal to your palate. Here are some other ideas:
- Greek Style: chopped fresh tomatoes, feta cheese, sautéed spinach
- Veggie Style: chopped bell peppers, broccoli florets, mushrooms and onions
- Bacon and Cheese: crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, chopped mushrooms and onions
- Ham and Swiss: chopped deli ham, shredded swiss cheese, sautéed spinach
- Pesto: chopped sautéed mushrooms, pesto sauce, chopped onions, mozzarella cheese
If you are using this as a part of post-run meal or snack, make sure to include a source of healthy carbohydrates to promote replenishment of glycogen (your body’s carbohydrate stores). One or two pieces of whole-wheat toast, a glass of milk or a banana are quick and easy options you can add to make this a complete post-workout meal.