Friday, December 13, 2013

Please Meet the Bennetts: December's Random Runners


Please meet Robin and Tim Bennett, December’s Random Runner(s).  

In the spirit of the holidays and family, we have asked newly weds Tim and Robin Bennett to share their running story with you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Capital City Runners! 
Tim-Robin Palace 5K 2013
Tim and Robin just before the 2013 Palace Saloon 5K -
the morning of their wedding.

CCR:  When did you start really running?  Why?
Tim: 2 years ago I was inspired by my best friend, who is now my wife, to manage my stress and to lose some weight.

Robin:  In 2008 to lose weight, to find a new me and new friends to bring a positive influence to my life.

CCR:  How has running shaped you since then?
Tim:  I’ve lost weight, I feel healthier, found a great way to clear my head, and it has given me the opportunity to challenge myself, set new goals and make a lot of new friends.

Robin:  I’ve lost over 100lbs since 2008, found some of the best friends/family that I could have prayed for and I’ve become a better person overall.

CCR:  As a child, did you think running would be an important part of your life?
Tim:  I was always running around playing football as a running back but this is a whole different side of running.  I’ve trained my body to not only run fast again but to run longer as well.

Robin:  Not really, but when I go support the Cross Country Meets or Track Meets I see these kids pushing their bodies, the friendships, the accomplishments, it makes me really wish I had.

CCR:  What is one of your most awesome running memories? i.e. proudest, favorite, most memorable...
Tim:  My first half marathon, hitting 40 miles at my 12H Ultra and every time I push myself to a new PR.

Robin:  I’ll never forget the day I ran my first mile non-stop I fell in love with that feeling, and also my first marathon.

CCR:  What is your weak point?  Does it haunt your or drive you?
Tim:  My work schedule.  I work 12H night shifts 7pm-7am and have a hard time finding a good balance between working on my jeep, the house, sleeping and running.  It really haunts me, I always want to do my best but it’s hard to train to do my best all the time.
Reduced Tim-Robin Trail Blazers
Robin and Tim doing one of the things they love best:
running the trails in Tallahassee.

Robin:  My eating habits haunt me.  I hope to find a day where I can maintain without struggle.  Trails are the weakness that drive me, I go back for more and more so I can conquer them one day.

CCR:  What do you like to do when you aren’t running?  (Do you have a favorite non-running hobby?)
Tim:  I play XBOX, work on my Jeep, and going to movies with my wife.

Robin:  I LOVE dancing!!  Traveling, movies, football and really anything that allows me to be around friends.

CCR:  What do you do to pay your bills?
Tim:  I am a Correctional Officer at Department of Corrections and do some side work at a friend's horse farm.

Robin:  I’m a Science Educator with High Touch High Tech and part time work at a friend's horse farm.

CCR:  If money were no object, what would you love to do?
Tim:  I would love to own an Off-Road Park for ATV’s, Jeeps, Dirtbikes.  I’d also love to learn to re-build jeeps and own a Jeep repair shop.

Robin:  I would do a lot of traveling, do some exotic races and take a nap everyday.

CCR:  What are some of your most recent “reads”?
Tim:  Magazine are my favorites reads, I love Men’s Health, Bicycle, Runner’s World, Four Wheel Drive.  The interviews, articles, and advice are so refreshing to me.

Robin:  I’m reading the Runner’s Guide to the Meaning of Life and just picked up a nutrition for runners book.  I’m also a big fan of Runner’s World magazine and Women’s Health

CCR:  Who motivates you, and what inspires you to keep running?
Tim:  Seeing the dedication and hard work pay off for my running family that train so hard and set PR’s.

Robin:  The memory of my mom and every single person in the GWTC family.

CCR:  What is your idea of the perfect “running” vacation (or weekend)? A non-running vacation?
Tim:  My perfect running vacation or not would have to be Italy or Greece.  But, really anywhere with my wife.

Robin:  For the past couple of years there hasn’t been a vacation without running in it somewhere:  my husband asked me to marry him at the finish line of the Peachtree 10K; we all ran the Palace Saloon 5K the morning of my Wedding; and we went to California for our Honeymoon and ran the Big Sur 21 miler.  Anywhere where I can be with family and run is perfect.

CCR:  How has Capital City Runners been a positive component of your running career/life-style?
Tim:  When I first started running I was in an old worn down pair of shoes and CCR helped me find out what my gait was and explained the kind of runner I was and spent an hour helping me try on shoes until we got it right.  True runners helping runners.

Robin:  Incredible athletes as employees to answer my every question and give advice whenever needed.  They put on fun runs, have demo nights, have awesome apparel, accessories, and of course have never put me in a shoe I didn’t love.
Tim-Robin 12.7.2013
The Bennetts at this year's running of the GWTC 10 Mile Challenge:
a Tribute to Our Friend Reid Vannoy

No comments:

Post a Comment